01 July, 2011

Myeongdong Kyoja

I went to the famed shopping area Myeongdong for lunch. It's a good area to sip coffee and people watch as well as get some decent food for lunch. I prefer going to Myeongdong during the day because at night it gets really crowded with hoards of shoppers.

Myeongdong Kyoja serves up some good kalguksu and mandu (dumplings) at a good price. Their menu is short and everything is 8000 won. Kalguksu is a knife cut noodle soup with some ground beef and dumplings. The kimchi here, which can be very spicy at times, pairs very well with the kalguksu broth. Last time I was here I had the hottest kimchi ever! One of my students took me here when I was in Korea for the first time (2006) and I can't seem to come to Seoul without going here.

Kalguksu is supposed to be a good summertime meal and now that I am acquiring quite a taste for it I will be searching out some more places to find the best.

Here's what it looks like from outside. They have two locations in Myeongdong, but I have only ever eaten at the one closest to the Myeongdong subway station.

No comments: