06 July, 2011

Le Saigon

If a there was a contest for which restaurant gets to be graced with my presence the most while I am in Seoul, then Le Saigon is certainly in the lead and may well run away with the crown. For the past few months I have started to become mildly obsessed with Vietnam. Not sure why, but thoughts of visiting the country and eating Vietnamese foods have been occupying my mind since about the middle of spring. I have even read through a large portion of the section of my Lonley Planet Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos book as well as Graham Greene's "The Quiet American."
Anyway, I knew Le Saigon was here because I ate here with a friend when I was here in April. However, I thought the Phở was just good, but not great. It certainly was better than some of the bad Pho (as in not Phở) chains I've tried around Seoul on previous visits. Mostly I was unhappy with the noodles quality on my last visit.
Maybe it was an off day (for them or me) because I am happy to say that my opinion has changed. I have now had the Phở twice and I was quite happy both times. I got the set menu A which comes with fresh spring rolls and a choice of beef or chicken Phở (I will certainly never get the chicken). The spring rolls are really tasty, filled with fresh herbs and vegetables. I was not happy with the dipping sauces though. They seemed to lack flavor.

Beef Phở

Fresh Spring Rolls

Below is my most recent lunch: Phở, fresh spring rolls, and Hanoi beer. The beer was okay. I'll have to try the Saigon beer next time.


On two other occasions I have ordered their pork bánh mì for take out. Bánh mì is a Vietnamese sandwich created out of French colonialism. Le Saigon's are very tasty and worth a try. I'll get some pictures up after my next visit.

Directions: Noksapyeong station (line 6) exit 2. Go straight and take the underpass. Go left to get back up and it's right there.

2 comments:

Tim Venchus said...

Nice blog Matt! Wish I would've known about this earlier and I would've added it to my Google Reader. Buon appetito!

EverRev said...

Thanks Tim. I just started it back up again.